Web Analytics and Web Statistics by NextSTAT Caffeinated Cogitation: The Truth About Fear

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Truth About Fear

What is fear? An emotion. A strong emotion. A very strong emotion. Despite it's translation as a sign of weakness it is one emotion that has been loyal to mankind all along.

I do not understand why people are ashamed of it?
Everybody has it. Anyone who says they don't are bluffing.

Fear is not a burden we are forced to carry. I choose to interpret it as one of the most potent weapons I posess.

Another thing - One man's fear CAN be another man's object of ridicule. Relax, you needn't lose sleep over that.

Here's my biggest fear - Not being able to look at myself in the mirror at the end of the day ... not being able to forgive myself for something.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here.

It is this a single fact that makes me act the way I do a lot of times.
Thankfully, I haven't had to face my greatest fear so far. I believe this is not merely due to luck but due to the fact that I usually try everything within my power to avoid the confrontation and it is to avoid this very confrontation that I am willing to push myself ... beyond my limits ... physical and emotional.

All of us do the same ... subconsciously , most of the times though.

Here's one thing I've realised ... The stronger the fear the better are your chances of excelling. I know this sounds contradictory. Ponder over it. It isn't. If you can justify this statement then you are half way there.

The most common example that comes to my mind right now is the fear of failure. If you look at students the fear of failure (academically) equals flunking the majors. This fear, in turn, drives a student to study for them thus enabling him/her to avoid the flunking. The stronger the fear, the harder the student studies and the greater are his chances of actually learning something and avoiding the dreaded 33% deadline.

I'd love to quote some more examples but I think this one should suffice for now.

Fear is ,in a larger sense, responsible to an extent, in shaping me into who I am today and you know? I am not ashamed of the person I am today. not in the slighest bit.

Thank you, fear. You've been faithful.

A.G

1 Comments:

Blogger Inderjeet Singh Sodhi said...

So.....here lies the key which encapsulates within its the realms the key to sucess, happiness, courage and the push to move ahead in life.

Drink beer f**k fear.

Jokes apart dude the post was indeeed well written.

The basis of optimism is sheer fear.

Peace
Sodhi

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home