Web Analytics and Web Statistics by NextSTAT Caffeinated Cogitation: What's This World Coming To?

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

What's This World Coming To?

Here's breaking news :

Shocked me to the core. No kidding.

Ms. Sarin, Mr. Anand, Ms. Sehmbey (Some of the big guns of our class ) and many many more in our class do not know how to create user accounts in Windows.

Holy Mother of God !!!

In addition to this , most people in class do not know the meaning of the words "wicked (!)" and "ambience".

Of what use is bookish knowledge if you know nothing about your field , about how things actually come together in the real world? How things practically function.

It's not like making user accounts in Windows is complicated or even remotely close to that.

I only wish to drive home the point that if you (the person reading this) do not have the answer to this question then I hope , for humanity's sake, that you are not related, directly or indirectly, to computers or information technology or wait ... to anything technical.

Among all the people surveyed (and they were quite a few) only 2 females (Ms. Aditi Pal and Ms. Manpreet - Jivesh's better half) and 1 male (Mr. Amardev Singh) had the answer to this question.

Most (but not all ) people from class were asked this.

Moving on to the meanings of the words.

Almost nobody knows what wicked and ambience mean.

Is this just me or is the world really filled with idiots?

The ones who did know the meanings to these words were Ms. Aditi Pal, Ms. Manpreet, Mr. Amardev Singh (I gave him the benefit of doubt for ambience though) Ms. Sarin ( I didn't ask her for I could not find her at that time but I assure you that it can safely be assumed that she knows what they mean).
I also expect Mr. Anand to be familiar with the words. I hope the same holds true for Ms. Sehmbey as well.


Now, the general feeling in class, nowadays, is that everybody wants to be placed in a good company (Congratulations Sunish and Ripu, by the way).

So we all want to be placed in a good company when we know nothing about what programming languages really are or what the basic concepts of ANYTHING are.

In IP Kaur's words Company vaale to humari ukhaad denge

But seriously ... would you hire you?

Your answer to this question should set the ball rolling.

I am reminded of a line from The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner here :

Water water everywhere and not a drop to drink


I hereby rechristen (Please tell me you know what this means. If you don't then just pretend you do for now. I cannot take any more shocks for today.) ... anyways as I was saying ... I hereby rechristen the above line as :


Idiots Idiots everywhere and not a brain to think.

Here's some more truth.

Most people in class have never used a pen drive.
Most people in class have never even seen one.
Most people in class do not know how to install an Operating System; ANY Operating System.

Most people in class have passwords to their messanger, email, Oracle accounts (etc) that can very easily be cracked. (Take my word for it ;) )

Mostr people do not know who Craig Barrett is.
Most people in class cannot create a bootable disk.
Most people in class have never seen/used a zip drive.
Most people in class think Opera is a form of art related to music (If they know the meaning of Opera in the first place).

Most people in class do not know the difference between a virus and a worm.

I can go on and on with this list but I hope you get the general idea.
Please please please make me eat my words.
Please prove me wrong.
I'm begging you.



It is apt here to mention that I am no tech guru. Heck, I'm not even close but rest assured I can definitely answer questions related to creating user accounts in Windows !!!

Another thing that I would like to mention here is that I did not intend to insult any of you (the people mentioned in this post). I can only hope you take this in the right vein and that this post serves as a window to where we really stand with respect to our current technical pursuits.

Many of you may take an offence to this.
If you do then you fall in the category of "Most people" mentioned in the post.
Offcourse, this does not imply that if you do not take offence to this then you don't get included in that bracket but I'm sure you get the idea.

I personally believe that Most People, here, includes around 95% (or more) females and 80-85% males (or more !!!) in class.
That's the way the cookie crumbles.
In Ms. Sarin's words, No Hard Feelings ...

Goodnight
A.G

2 Comments:

Blogger Inderjeet Singh Sodhi said...

LOL @ No hard feelings!!! Am I reminded about somethin......... hmmmm.
Enjoy
Jeet

6:16 PM  
Blogger The Artful Dodger said...

I do not know what you are reminded about.

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home