Web Analytics and Web Statistics by NextSTAT Caffeinated Cogitation: The History of F.L.I.R.T

Thursday, February 16, 2006

The History of F.L.I.R.T

OK this is going to be a rather shabby and incomplete summary but it will have to do for now. I only intend to scratch the surface here.

It all started in the second semester. A first year student, Aseem,was making his way to the bus in the evening to get a seat. His journey, however, was soon interrupted by two of his classmates who seemed to be a perfect contrast of black and white ( Abhinav and Sobby).

Anyways, they told me they wanted to a group dance thing for the Annual Function. They followed this by telling me they had
already taken my bag to the hostel and since the buses had already started leaving for their destinations I had no option
but to stay behind.
The three of us then made our way to the hostel where, after about an hour of fooling a rough draft of what these guys had
planned to do was presented to me. I had no clue about who Sobby was at that time( except that he was in our class). Jha was known to me to be the friendly guy who always mingled well with the female. This definition still holds though it has been added upon.
Anyways, practice started and continued till 4:45 a.m with a 25 minute break in between for dinner.
Meenakshi, Premdeep and Shikha Dogra were our counterparts. The latter two were usually too busy checking out which guy was
looking at them while dancing to be concentrating on the actual performance. Anyways, during the auditions (for which we
appeared 9 times!!!) we noticed this group of four people - Saurabh, Mani, Aditi and another girl whose name eludes me right now.
I loved the second song they did with the multiple waves, which Jha, Sobby and I agreed upon were pretty much elongated over 8 beats. Aditi was a girl in class and the only reason I recognised her back then was because she had a boy-cut at the time!!! The fourth girl - I had no idea who she was at the time.

Anyways a semester later, Jha told me we( Jha, Sobby and I) would be going to IIT Delhi's fest for Group Dance. One day, after college, we were exiting from E - Block when Saurah and Mani bumped into us. Jha told them we were going to be practising for IIT . I asked them is they were coming too to which saurabh answered "Bhai ne humein poocha hi nahin" pointing towards Jha to which Jha retorted "Yaar aisi baat nahin hai ...". Anyways, 10 minutes later F.L.I.R.T was born.(without the name at that point though).
Rendezvous 2005( The IIT Delhi fest) came along and there we were - 5 guys in one of India's best engineering institutions trying to figure out where we stood w.r.t Arts colleges and the likes in group dancing. We reached Delhi a night before the
Prelims.
By the way ... The oft repeated phrase " Jaroooooooorrrrrrr" along with the hand gestures originated because of Boxer Bhajji!).
More on that some other time. Harsh Dhand(An IIT topper for 5 years straight in the M.Tech dual degree and whose mom and my mom are colleagues) came to our rescue and arranged speakers and a discman. So we commenced practice in the hostel and finally called it a day (ahem) at 3:00 a.m. Woke up at 8:30 the next day and tried to figure what to do about the costumes.

It may be mentioned here that the day before, the two Saurabhs foraged petrol pumps till 1:00 a.m begging the workers there for their costumes!!! Anyways, the clock struck 10:00 a.m and we found ourselves in Dogra Hall (the venue for the prelims).
We hadn't eaten breakast and were still looking around for costumes. Bruised and battered we looked around only to find the girls from LSR sitting to our left relaxing and drinking lemonade. Didn't make it to the finals then.
Next came Faridkot and things were different from then on. I think it was simply the IIT boost that did it. Anyways, many fests came and went and a year later we found ourselves in the finals of Rendezvous 2006. That's when the 5 of us (atleast) realised that maybe, just maybe, things had come full circle for us. I remember us standing inside the Administration block around an hour before the finals and thinking to ourselves how a year ago we were on the outside of the block (as spectators) trying to get in and it seemed funny how a year later we found ourselves on the other side of the door.
I do believe that man to man were were probably the best there but its as a group that we ,perhaps, lose out a little.Add to this the fact that we always have new girls at every fest.

We've never repeated the same set of girls for any fest.
I've never danced with the same girl twice till now. I hope that changes coz it gets frustrating. Take my word for it.
Especially when you have people who can't even take care of their own clothes!!!(IIT 2006!!! lolz). If you're smiling after
reading this line then you know what I'm talking about, if not then too bad or you!!! haha

Still have lots to write about but I'm getting tired of rambling on and on so I'll call it a day for now.
A.G

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home